College Invest® 529 Plan Match

Tagged with: ,

For those living in Colorado and wanting to save for college via a 529 plan, College Invest® is the only one that will allow you a deduction on your Colorado state tax return (think automatic 4.63% return on investment). For

Filing Status Part 3 of 3

Tagged with: ,

Thanks for hanging in there for filing status part 3 of 3!  This part deals with Head of Household (HOH) which at face value should be another simple filing status to understand but from my experience can get a little

Filing Status Part 2 of 3

Tagged with: , ,

To quote one of my all-time favorite movies The Princess Bride (must read with an intoned lisp), “Marriage, marriage is what brings us together today.” What brings us to part 2 of 3 for filing status are the filing statuses

Filing Status Part 1 of 3

Tagged with: ,

Besides your name, address, Social Security number, and if you want to donate to the presidential election campaign (who really even looks at that?) the first thing to mark on the 1040 Individual Income tax return is filing status.  What

Supreme Court Sales Tax Decision

Tagged with:

I might be dating myself a little here but ever since I started learning tax law (you know like back in the stone age when Amazon had yet to turn a profit and Google wasn’t a verb) the 1992 Quill

Updated Tax Deductions for the Self-Employed

Tagged with:

With a new year and a few changes to rules/rates, here is an updated version of my pamphlet Tax Deductions for the Self-Employed. Tax Deductions for the Self-Employed Also, if you have questions about the many changes to the deduction

New Withholding Forms & Calculator

2017 tax returns have been filed or will be soon (April 17th will be here before you know it) and many are wondering what 2018 taxes will look like with the new tax law changes.  You may have seen a

2018 Tax Season Calendar (for 2017 tax year preparation)

It’s that time again to gather up all your W-2s, 1099s, and other tax documents for 2017 tax year income tax preparation.  Here are a few dates to keep in mind: January 16, 2018 4th Quarter 2017 estimated tax payments due

2018 Mileage Rates & More

If a new tax law wasn’t enough to remember, a few other rates are changing for 2018 taxes. Mileage Rates: Business mileage rate moves up to 54.5 cents/mile, Medical mileage rate moves up to 18 cents/mile, Charitable mileage rate remains

Small Business and Pass-through Tax Deduction-New Law

My last post focused solely on individuals and the tax law changes impacting their tax return.  This post deals with small business owners operating under one of the following business structures: Sole proprietor (Schedule C) LLCs–can be taxed as sole